portfolio self-reflection

Shanttel Porras

Prof. Ryder

10/30/2019

ENGL 21003

My self-reflection for this class has been chaotic to say the least but there are many things I have taken from this course and any applied after.

My favorite writing part of the class was definitely the free-write and while some were lost in the documenting process there were many that I enjoyed editing and looking back at. A personal favorite piece of mine was the satire, how-to exercise that built upon a reading of  ‘How to Write About Africa’ by Binyavanga Wainaina, and the free write prompt about regrets which is pretty ironic in retrospect as I’m writing this. My favorite part of the class was the different speakers, that was pretty awesome to have as part of a class experience. I’ve haven’t had a class to this date with that many speakers so kudos for the organization to get speakers in, definitely made for a unique class discussion. Speaking of class discussions while it did take a while for people to jump in, when people did start to discuss it was nice to hear how people built off each other’s ideas and interpretations of readings. Others’ perspectives helped me see a different side of the readings and revisit my opinions. This is a main factor of why I was active in class dicussions because it was interesting to see how others impressions were different from mine in the same literature.

A writing piece that I received feedback from and helped me improve was the Scholarship grant application piece two if which I did one for the assignment and one for extra credit. While I had to write within a limit so I had tried to condense sentences and paragraphs, the feedback showed that I had to revisit certain areas where I failed to make myself clear and the sentence became too long. So I had revisited the piece and edited for clarity so that it reads better and while the piece could be further edited to flow better I learned from this piece how to edit and write an application piece so a reader can follow it more fluidly.

These are positive reflections I have taken from this class and I thank you for having me in the class.