free write 2/21

Shanttel Porras

Prof. Ryder

February 21, 2019

ENGL 21003

If Prompt: when you get to the end of your life, what you will regret not doing?

Regret is a strong feeling that manifests most strongly at the end. I think every person alive will always regret they couldn’t do more. Our human limit is that there is only so much time we can be alive and only so many hours in a day. Therefore we can’t extend ourselves in all our capacity. This inability to do everything makes us decide between things we need and want and what’s probable.

When I get to end of my life I will regret not having taken care of myself better to have lived longer first of all. Sometimes we put off health of ourselves or don’t bring attention to it, and I have seen how it affects others close to me personally. Our bodies are not expendable and can only stretch so far. Its only when it begins to break down that’s you miss it.

Second will be to not have spent more time with my passed away loved ones. You never fully feel the finality of death unless it strikes to some you see daily in your life and sometimes families are spread out and unfortunately get distanced  over time. When one is on their own deathbed you can really sympathize with those who have passed.

I will likely have regret many actions I will do out of young immaturity. Only in retrospect can we judge ourselves sometimes, but we can never expect our younger selves to predict the future. Definitely in this, is spending more time with family and trying to reconcile instead of just letting conflict pass and not understand each other. Regret is a powerful emotion and we should try to live to our fullest, but even as we are at our end we should always be content with how far we have come from where we started.